Eon: Dragoneye Reborn - Alison Goodman
No Mysterious (sparkling) Boy - checkGirl disguised as a boy - checkAdventure, magic and a unique setting - check Why DIDN'T I PICK this up sooner from my TBR pile - I'm a dumbassEon is hiding a secret that could destroy all that he has worked for if it comes out, because he is not really a boy but a girl who is training to become a Dragon apprentice which is a role that eventually each candidate. If they are chosen to be able to helm magic of the elements and to control a dragon who is in charge of one. However Eon fails in his bid to get chosen by the dragon who he has worked hard for so many years to win, but this isn't the end for his ambition - because he hails back the missing Mirror Dragon, who has disappeared for centuries. And in the midst of all of this, chaos and betrayal rocks the kingdom and it is up to Eon/Eona to help save it.I ADORED this book! I love the trope of gender bending heroines, and Alison Goodman explored beautifully gender roles and sexuality with multifaceted depth. Eon/Eona was a fantastic heroine, with flaws as well as determination to succeed in a man's world and I love books where characters challenge the world's view. I really felt this was similar in tone with the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce, which is one of my all time favourite series, which fans of this series will definitely love Eon and its sequel Eona. With a setting that was rich and vibrant, and fleshed out characters this book was such a breath of fresh air. I have inhaled the sequel and Alison Goodman has definitely become an auto-buy author now for me.